Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Tea Party Tuesday * * * * * * Is Kindle Unlimited For You?

Welcome to Tea Party Tuesday, a weekly blog to share afternoon tea and talk about the world of books.

Let me pour you a cup of Darjeeling. Milk? Sugars? 

I'm serving Jillian Bradley's carrot cake today. It's one of my husband's favorites and mine too! I used to make double this recipe but now that there are only the two of us, I cut the original recipe in half.

The recipe is easy to make as long as you grate the carrots FIRST. 

I ran across a blog post on Pinterest regarding Amazon's new service called "Kindle Unlimited" that I found most informative. It's a monthly book service for $9.99 where readers can borrow up to 10 books a month. This is a little different than their Amazon Prime service where readers can borrow only one book a month. (But for free!)

If you're interested in what USA Today is saying initially you may want to read the link I've included at the end of our tea.

Sometimes I wish I could transport back to being just a reader -- that way I would have more time to indulge in reading all the tempting books being written. But alas, I must sacrifice for those who like my books. 

It's like cleaning houses for a living. When you come home, the last thing you want to do is clean house! There is a difference, though. With today's technology one can read on devices at hand, like the iPhone or iPad. That's what I do. 

What's the last book you read? Did you read a paperback or ebook version? 

The last book I read was "The Woolie Weegie" by C.L. Ragsdale. I read it on my iPad and wrote a review conveniently at the end. I would recommend all of the Reboot series by this author. I'd post the cover but it's a bit frightening. Here's the link:Books by C.L. Ragsdale

 Cheers!

~Nancy Jill

Oh, you'd like the link to the Kindle Unlimited post and the recipe? Certainly! USA TODAY Kindle Unlimited

Jillian's Carrot Cake
Serves 9



Grate 1-2 carrots enough to make 1 1/2 cups. Set aside.

Sift together and set aside: 1 cup flour, 1/2 t. cinnamon, 1/2 t. allspice, 1/8 t. ground cloves, 1 t. soda and 1/4 t. salt.

Combine and mix well: 3/4 c. vegetable oil, 1 c. sugar, 1/2 t. vanilla.

Add, mixing well after each addition: 2 eggs.

Gradually add dry ingredients. 

Fold in 1 1/2 cups grated carrots, 1/2 small can crushed pineapple, drained, and 1/2 c. chopped walnuts.

Pour into an 8"X8" square pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until done.

Icing
Combine and mix with mixer until fluffy: 1/4 c. butter, softened, 2 cups powdered sugar, 4 ounces cream cheese, softened, 1/2 t. vanilla.

Fold in 1/2 c. chopped walnuts. 

Spread on warm cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment